Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How not to have a workspace that works for you.

When my husband and I bought our first house five years ago, one of the main selling points was that there was room for a "craft room" where I could be as crafty as I wanna. Here is that craft room 5 years later:


You will notice the lack of a proper table. What? You say you see a table? Ha! I've fooled you! What you think is a table is actually a piece of particle board resting on two plastic storage units. This makes the "table" too unsteady for all the shenanigans that go on on top of it and far too tall for my stubby little body.

Also missing, a proper chair. Oh sure, there is a plastic folding chair but from what I understand, sitting in a plastic folding chair for more than two hours at a time is against the Geneva Convention and was the essential enhanced interrogation technique used to finally nail Bin Laden.

Space? Nope, can't have any here. For this room is the holding cell for things that'll end up in the attic one day. The day after the joists are re-enforced and plywood is put down. . . But for now we'll store it in here, honey. You'll barely notice it's in there. The boxes will be way out of sight. Ah, come on baby, where else can I put the old furniture? You can store stuff in the furniture in the short time it'll be in this room. I swear I'll start work in the attic any day now. . ..

There is also no TV, no computer, no air circulation and no air conditioner.

I do all my wire work in my bed. The bookcase next to it that used to house hundreds of romance novels now holds supplies. Yeah, I said 'romance novels'. Why did I have a bookcase full of romance novels by my bedside? Because shut up, that's why.


My actual workspace:


Way on top are two wooden slabs that I lay across my lap. I see pictures of people on workbenches with bench pins and mounted mandrils and I cry bitter, jealous tears.













I did create these at my work station, so it's not too bad:




These guys will soon be available at PinkSlinkie's Etsy.



P.S. I did save a shelf on the bottom of the for my for romance.

2 comments: