Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 26, 2011

I Needed You, My Invisible Friends!

Yesterday's Astoria Market Fair was a major bust. The time before I made enough money to cover the table and the beer and food me and Hubby ate and drank. Yesterday we sold a total of no earrings, no bracelets, no necklaces and no boxes. Making a grand total of negative one hundred and ten dollars. That's table, food and beer. We still had a blast. There were live bands. The first, a cover band, rocked out. The played Led Zep, Steve Wonder, Bon Jovi, Earth, Wind and Fire, The Doors-- all the songs old folks like me and the Hub could groove to. Except P-Funk. There was no bop-gun to shoot Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk with.

And, as always, the other vendors were the best. Friendly, lovely people quick to lend a hand and give advice. The painter next to me told me she made a thousand dollars at Astoria three shows ago but she barely made table the last two show. "That's how it goes. Sometimes you make a killing, sometimes it kills you." I'm a little bloodthirsty, I'd like to kill and kill again.

Another thing I'd like to do is to somehow get this show mobile. I'd like to be able to pack my crap up, load it on a luggage rack or similar and haul it by public transportation all by my lonesome. This will require me to buy something else. I have decided that I cannot buy another damned thing for selling jewelry until I make something selling jewelry. In the beginning I sold lots of stuff but, not only did I put every dime I made right back into "the business", but the month of September was a big, gigantic bust making me quite leery of sinking more money into an enterprise that sells nothing.

What I am going to do is open up a second internet storefront. This one with Artfire. From what I understand, Artfire is free for a month and then you get to choose from a Basic Plan, which is virtually free, and a Pro Plan, which is 11 dollars a month-- no listing fee or percentage paid. On Artfire I plan to list my boxes, necklaces and bracelets. Earrings and pins will remain at Etsy.




Now all I gotta do is figure out how to take nice pics of the boxes indoors. And how to sneak in links to two sites instead of the one Etsy site. How's this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment