Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Made Sorrel.

It is a drink from the Caribbean. As with many foods from the Caribbean, it is bursting with flavors and may be unsuitable for the bland taste buds of middle-America. You know who you are. You people who find black pepper too spicy. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Everybody makes their sorrel drink a bit different. For those of you with more adventurous palates, I will tell you how I made mine. The hardest part was getting the sorrel.

In a big ole pot boil 7 cups of water. Once the water is boiling add: An orange peel, a lemon peel, a dozen or so whole cloves, an inch of fresh ginger, a cup (and a little more, I like it sweet) of sugar and a whole 1 oz package of dried sorrel petals. Bring back to boil. Stir and stir until all the sugar has been dissolved. Take it off the fire, put a lid on it and let it steep overnight.

Did I say the hardest part was acquiring sorrel? I was wrong. The hardest part will be leaving some for the rest of the family to taste. I even found a pic. This is exactly what my sorrel looks like, right down to the shape of the glass. Except I don't have sorrel petals surrounding my glass. And my glass says 'Yuengling TRADITIONAL Lager. America's Oldest Brewery' on it. But besides that-- exactly the same!



Sadly, it cannot be shared over the internet or I'd fax you some to taste. I can, however, share my jewelry with you from both my Etsy shop and my Artfire studio.

2 comments:

  1. I forget where you're at, if you can get Mexican food easily, but this is a very popular drink there, too. They call it Jamaica (pronounced ha-mike-ah). I love getting the hibiscus flowers and making it at home - it can be kool-aid from scratch: flowers and sugar and water!

    SDMB/RoniaB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the NYC area. And I'm in agreement with you-- nummy!

    ReplyDelete